This is a character I had started over a year ago, for the Wild West Artstation challenge but could not finish on time.
It's based on a really cool concept by Christoffer Svensson : https://www.artstation.com/csven
This is a real time model. My goal was to make a character that is actually suitable for a current gen game and to treat it like a real production asset, not a show off piece with 500K tris and multiple 8k maps.
Total polycount is 45K triangles (character + staff). The model is optimized, yet I tried to keep it round and smooth where it mattered. I could probably optimize the feathers a bit more now that I look at the wireframe again.
Three texture sets: one 4K for the body, one 2K for the staff, one 1K for the feathers. The resolution is probably overkill, this is just for the presentation, I would half it on a real game. The staff has its own texture set so it can be split as a prop. This might be a bit more memory heavy, but you don't waste texture space when the staff is not present, and you don't have to load the whole character texture if you only want to use the staff as a background prop or on another character. The featers have their own texture set because they have a very different shader from the rest with it's own channels (opacity, anisotropy, sss)
Modeled in maya/zbrush, textured in substance painter, baked and rendered in Marmoset