So this is my big project I have been work on and off for about a year. This is Genji's helmet replica. The goal was to learn how to make practical props, including molds in silicone and casting with resin.
This is my (almost) finished Genji's helmet. Scroll down to see the progress
This is the 3D model I made for 3d-printing, in maya
Quick render test, done with substance painter and arnold
another 3d render
first printed part, exciting
after a first round of primer, filler and sanding
rinse and repeat, until super smooth. I alternate red and grey primers to see the layers when sanding. And red looks cooler
second part printed
The big bucket is done. It's heavy, even though I made it as thin as I could
All the part are now printed
Trying to get an idea of what it will look like. It's big!
Preping the jaw, using various fillers and primers
Progress on the helmet. You can see the primer left an ugly drip, but no worry, we'll sand it away
All the small parts are almost done now. They don't look smooth but...
A quick coat of primer and all smooth shiny
Final coat on the jaw
Same on the helmet, all smooth and clean
Waxing before molding, to add an extra layer of smoothness
After buffing, all shinny, ready to mold
First mold. This one was a big mistake, this part was way too big for a traditional poor-in mold.
For the other parts, I created brushed-on mold. Very messy but more practical for big objects and use a lot less silicone
My garage was a mess for a couple of months
Making the mother mold, the hard shell that goes around the silicone mold, to keep its shape once emptied
Popping the mother mold open
Pulling the master out of the silicone mold. Super tight
And it's out!
First casting test. Not quiet there yet
Third time is the charm
Casting the helmet!
The jaw went much better
Some holes in the back, no big deal, this won't be visible
Casting the smaller parts was easy
Starting the paintjob, 3 months later
Here again, not everything went well
When I pulled the masking tape, some of the paint came with it :(
Don't know if you can see it but there is an ugly paint drip. So I have to sand and start over
Getting there. Only needs the visor and the "scarf"
Vaccum forming the visor with transparent plastic. I built a small vaccum forming machine just for that :)
Cut and painted the visor with a semi transparent paint. You can't really see through it :S
Almost done :)
Lighting test, using an LED flashlight. I will mount a proper lighting system later, using LED strip or EL tape
And there it is, finished, or almost. Needs some paint touch-ups here and there, but it's done overall